Four Seasons Hotel & Residences, SAN FRANCISCO, CA
- Marelich Mechanical provided approximately $3 million in value engineering for the mechanical and plumbing systems, which were completed within the project schedule.
SCOPE OF WORK
- The project is a 36-story multi-use high-rise commercial/hospitality building on Market Street in Downtown San Francisco, approximately two blocks from Union Square. The building consists of a 5-story underground parking garage, mechanical plant, and backof- house services for the hotel and residences. There is a 5-story podium which consists of retail spaces on the 1st and 2nd fl oors, athletic club on the 3rd and 4th fl oors, hotel lobby, conference rooms, ball room, and restaurant on the 5th fl oor, as well as a mechanical mezzanine. Above the podium is a 31-story tower, which houses 11 fl oors of hotel guestrooms (277 guestrooms) and 20 floors of condominiums (approximately 140 condominiums). The hotel and residences are a 5-star Four Seasons facility.
- Marelich provided pre-construction value engineering and design/assist services, followed by sheet metal, hydronic piping, plumbing, and controls installation.
- Sheet Metal: Included supply, return, and exhaust systems for the various hotel, residential, garage, and back-of-house spaces as well as general services for the athletic club and retail spaces. Many of these areas were built by Marelich later under separate contracts. This includes grease exhaust handling systems for the restaurant and food service areas.
- Hydronic Piping: Included the installation of the chilled, heating, and condenser water piping in the basement central plant and distribution throughout the building. The hotel guestrooms and condominiums were heated/cooled with 4-pipe stacking vertical fan coil units. Also included was the steam and condensate piping as well as the fi nal equipment connection in the back-of-house/laundry facilities.
- Plumbing included the domestic water, waste, vent, storm drain, and gas piping for all the areas. This included the water, waste, and gas for the food service area, utilities and fi nal equipment connection in the laundry and back-of-house areas.
The owner, Millennium Partners, is based out of New York City. At the time of construction of Yerba Buena Tower (now known as the Four Seasons Hotel and Residences), Millennium Partners had a total of 5 similar projects in various stages of design and construction throughout the United States. Millennium Partners completed the Metreon/ Yerba Buena Gardens project just across Mission Street prior to building the Yerba Buena Tower.
The owner’s intent was to build a top quality mixed-use facility in a high profile location in downtown San Francisco. The ultimate goal was to lease to the Four Seasons for operation, as well as take advantage of the high value of the San Francisco residential real estate market. The project had a mix of sold (condominium) and leased (hotel/retail/commercial) spaces.
- Provided a substantial amount of cost savings to Millenium Partners through value engineering.
- Provided design/assist services through pre-construction, as well as in specific cases during the construction process.